My Blog List

Monday, October 21, 2013

Our New Reality

I was talking, more like crying, to my mom yesterday afternoon about the tough week we have had at our house. Last weekend we went back home to Lubbock so that I could complete a school project and go to the Texas Tech football game. We had such a nice time visiting with our family but were sad that it was such a short visit. On the day we came back home Kai started complaining of a sore throat and by the time we got home that evening she was running 101 degree fever. The next morning Kai's fever was up to 102.3 so I called the doctor and had her seen that afternoon. The doctor told me what I already knew, Kai had a bad case of strep throat. Since Kai had only consumed 8 ounces of liquid in 48 hours and only used the restroom once she was severely dehydrated. The doctor told us that she needed to probably be hospitalized to receive fluids but it was up to her father and myself. We decided to give it 24 hours to let her begin drinking and then let the medicine take effect and if things didn't improve then we would go to the hospital. Kai did get better but was kept out of school ALL WEEK long. Along with Kai's issues we have had trouble with Jakob. Between the short trip, a new OT therapist, and Kai being home all week Jakob has had a difficult week adjusting. Mary and I feel like he is regressing instead of progressing. He clings to me every time I take him anywhere and goes into meltdown mode when I try to leave him. This happens at school, church, or even at home when I leave for night class on Thursday. Jakob refused to have his picture taken at school and also refused to participate in the church Primary program. In fact he hid under the pew at church because the thought of going up on the stand freaked him out. With such a frustrating week I knew that I needed to call my mom to just cry and vent. She understands me like no one else does when I say that I am frustrated and sad about things, especially where Jakob is concerned. Mom explained to me that our old life is not longer there and I need to embrace and accept our new reality. So here it is, our new reality : a pre-teen Middle School daughter who participates in piano lessons, horse back riding lessons,and book club. An autistic 5 year old with Sensory Processing Disorder, Occupational Therapy appointments, stringent schedules, meltdowns, outbursts, and 2 steps forward and 3 step back. Along with the kids schedules I am in my Senior year of school and Mark is busy at work. Our life is far from what anyone would call normal but it is OUR NEW NORMAL and we make it work!

No comments: