My Blog List

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Days You Can't Forget

Well we have been here in Roswell since the end of May but it doesn't seem like that long since we have been having to spend so much time in Lubbock. There are days that just come so clearly to my mind. The day Mark proposed (2-14-02), our wedding day (7-12-02), my kids birthdays (5-22-03 and 9-16-08), the day we found out we had serious problems with my pregnancy (5-22-08), the day I lost my first grandparent to death (11-05-07)...so you get it, I'm REALLY good at dates. Well add another to the list: August 22, 2015. That was the night that I got the call that my mother had been hit by an intoxicated driver. My sister called me around 11pm as I was settling into bed and told me not to freak out but that our mom had been in a bad car wreck and rushed to the hospital. The next few hours were spent on the phone talking to my sister and dad trying to get as many details about what was going on. The next morning I had to call my friend Beth and explain to her what was going on and ask if she could teach the lesson at church that I was supposed to give since we were heading to Lubbock. As I walked into the hospital that morning I immediately wanted to cry. My mom was so broken and bruised. She had fractured to vertebrae in her neck, had a blood clot in a main artery in her neck, severe bruising of the lungs, and also was having difficulty breathing. For the next month or so we found ourselves in Lubbock on the weekends in order to help out with things around the house and to help give my dad and sister some relief. Mom is doing so much better now. She still has broken bones and can not drive but the bruises are disappearing but at least we are on the road to recovery. I can not express the gratitude I have to my Heavenly Father for sparing my mother. If she had been in her little sports car instead of a big SUV we would have for sure been planning a funeral. I also can not even begin to thank all the family and friends that stepped up to the plate and offered prayers, food, cleaning, phone calls, Facebook messages, and visits. Your love for our family means the world to us. As I have told my family and friends before, 2015 has been the year of suck for us but we are looking forward to putting it behind us and moving onto a better 2016.

No comments: